Re: Namespaces, W3C XML Schema (was Re: ANN: SAX FiltersforNamespaceProcessing)

On 01 Aug 2001 10:48:00 -0400, Peter Piatko wrote:
> Note that the "meaning" or definition of the <title> element depends on the
> context.  *Not that I would advocate writing schemas this way.*  (Wouldn't
> it be better to put <book> and <person> in separate namespaces?).  But
> feature-laden XML Schema lets you do things like this and it seems
> especially easy to do if you are feeling lazy.

I don't recall XML Schema permitting multiple redefinitions of the same
element type, but I may well be missing something.  Seems like obviously
dangerous practice, in any event.

> I always thought that one of the intentions of
> elementFormDefault="unqualified" was to mark context sensitive elements like
> <title>.  This way, a recipient of the document at least knows there is
> something special about them, even if he/she doesn't have the schema.

To the W3C XML Schema-aware, it may look "special" and have a local
context, but to the rest of the world, it looks as if it had been
explicitly declared not to be special.  The context understandings
surrounding this usage are not intrinsic to anything in XML
1.0+Namespaces.