RE: Namespaces,W3C XML Schema (was Re: ANN: SAX FiltersforNamespaceProcessing)

> I don't recall XML Schema permitting multiple redefinitions of the same
> element type, but I may well be missing something.  Seems like obviously
> dangerous practice, in any event.

It doesn't. We are not talking redefinitions of types. It is no different
that having a class foo with a private variable called x of type int and a
class bar with a private variable called x of type double. Foo can't see
bar's x and vice-versa. Also, removing x from it's context probably isn't
usefull.

> To the W3C XML Schema-aware, it may look "special" and have a local
> context, but to the rest of the world, it looks as if it had been
> explicitly declared not to be special.  The context understandings
> surrounding this usage are not intrinsic to anything in XML
> 1.0+Namespaces.

Your use of XML may have no use of element context (I.E. parent-child
hierarchy is significant), but you shouldn't think that applys to everybody.
I feel context is one of the strengths of using XML. For instance, it is
important to my application that a street element in a billing address by
procesed differently than a street in a shipping adress. I will never
process a street element as a stand alone entity.

Dave