RE: Standards (yet again) was RE: Use of XML ?

I've never seen that written down although
it like concepts of standards may be one
of those urban myths.  Maybe that is what
some W3C members think they are doing.

Except I don't think the MS domination
is hindered by the W3C.  It may in fact make
it more possible except not by proprietary
formats.   I don't blame MS; they are in business
and if as this thread seems to indicate, there
are no rules, no governance, then there is
no fault when they embrace and extend because
that is precisely what XML is, yes?

HTML and XML are not public assets.  They
are W3C products.  They are public specs.
The Sun patent is still standing.

We're quibbling words not effects.  Part of the
problem of "Standards" "Specifications" etc.
is precisely that we don't have a meaning for
these, so when we cite them, we have to divine
intent or lock it down in a contract somewhere
such that are reasonable means for redress.
Otherwise, it is all rhetoric and rhetoric
is more powerful than logic if all you need
to get a decision is to ask a group of
vendors in a room to raise their hands,
in the presence of the press,
or to respond when asked if the intent
of a standard should be followed, "I have
my own ideas about how to use standards."

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h