Re: SAX Filters for Namespace Processing

> 1. I couldn't write a simple filter that went and picked out
>    the "city" tags from Simon's "person" namespace without
>    keeping track of the stack.

My point in this is that Stack info is being maintained either way (within
the Filter), which Simon already alluded to.

> 2. I can't drop this fragment into the middle of other XML
>    without being potentially raped by their default namespace.

In the 'more clean' defaulted example you have *exactly* the same problem.
If you copy givenName and familyName into another document it can easily be
molested by an alternate default namespace

<person xmlns="http://simonstl.com/person">
  <!-- cut here -->
  <givenName>Chip</givenName>
  <familyName>Skillet</familyName>
</person>

<otherdoc xmlns="http://simonstl.com/otherdoc">
  <!-- paste here -->
</otherdoc>

It is clean but the same problem exists, I don't know if re-identifying the
element is the right solution.

Regards,
Jeff Rafter
Defined Systems
http://www.defined.net
XML Development and Developer Web Hosting