Images and XML

Dear All,

I was in discussion with a friend when I thought of the following scenario:

I have a jpeg image of the Eiffel Tower. I would like to include with the
image some information about the picture, using a fairly standard DTD for
family photographs say (a point here is what should the DTD describe, a
family photo, a photo in general, media about Paris? I guess this is a
combination of personal preference and style, but how the latter is dictated
I do not know). How does one add this information to the image? Do you write
a separate XML file that contains example details like:

<family_photograph>
	<taken_by>Paul Jolly</taken_by>
	<taken_when>date</taken_when>
	<!-- Link to photo file here -->
	</image_data>
</family_photograph>

and then link (using XLink??) to the photograph, or do you make the image an
XML file in itself and have a format maybe like this:

<family_photograph>
	<taken_by>Paul Jolly</taken_by>
	<image_data type="gif"...>
	</image_data>
</family_photograph>

In the second example, binary data might be within the document, something
the parser may not like.

Is there already a solution that describes how this might be achieved?

In the first example, using XLink, how can you then make a link from the
photo to the describing file?

I would appreciate some guidance/suggestions on these points. Apologies if
such discussion has gone before me, but I have just subscribed to this list.

Kind regards,

Paul Jolly
--
web:   http://myitcv.org.uk/