Date Time Data Type Customization

I've had some difficulty working with the date/time data type in XML

I need to capture a date as DDMMYYYHH:MM:SS.  So August 6th 2001 at 9:00 PM
(exactly) would read:

Has anyone implemented "customizations" such as this in respects to the
default schema date/time data type pattern?

Any ideas how to do this?  Do I need to create a user defined data type?  Do
I simply need to create some type of mask that I can apply to the default
date/time type?

Brian Magick