Re: Date Time Data Type Customization

Brian,

>Has anyone implemented "customizations" such as this in respects to the
>default schema date/time data type pattern?

Bad news, this was discussed on the xmlschema-dev list about a month ago [1]
and modifying the lexical space of the built in date type looks grim. There
were several suggestions for creating a complexType which handled lexical
representation for content but included the actual xsd:date as an attribute
(that could be used for ordering/sorting).

I think a type was added to the additional type library at
http://www.w3.org/2001/03/XMLSchema/TypeLibrary.xsd.

If you are not concerned with the actual value space of the type (e.g. what
the date text equates to in value) then you could simply create a new simple
type which uses an RE pattern.  Of course, if you wanted to include all of
the logic for dates (such no 30th day in February) then it will be pretty
big...

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlschema-dev/2001Jul/0013.html

Good Luck,
Jeff Rafter
Defined Systems
http://www.defined.net
XML Development and Developer Web Hosting