Zerces 1.4.2, JAXP, schema - can't validate

Hi,

Has anyone been able to successfully perform a validating parse against a
schema using  Xerces 1.4.2, the JAXP, and Java 1.3.1?

I've seen several posts regarding the subject that I have gone though, yet
none seem to enable me to perform a validating parse on the sample
documents that ship with Xerces: personal-schema.xml using personal.xsd (or
any other docs/schemas, for that matter).

The following snippet is the code I am using, and no matter what I have
tried I keep getting parse errors: "Element type "xxx" must be declared."

         Document doc = null;
         System.setProperty("javax.xml.parsers.DocumentBuilderFactory",
                            "org.apache.xerces.jaxp.DocumentBuilderFactoryImpl");

         dbf.setValidating(true);
         db.setErrorHandler(this);
         doc = db.parse(xmlFile);

My CLASSPATH contains only the Xerces jar and directory containing the
class containing the above code.

Thanks in advance,
Pete