Storing binaries in XML streams

Hi,

Are there any guidelines for storing graphics, wp documents atc within an
XML document?
We are putting together a methodology of converting
Word/AmiPro/Wordperfect/DCA-RFT/Notes documents to XML. We have a DTD and
Schema, and understand how to embed these within the document, but we're not
clear whether there are rules for embedding graphics and attachments etc
within the same stream.
[Shows ignorence] If it can be done, how should it be done, and is this
desirable, or are we better off staying with external references?

Any opinions and guidance is welcome.

Thanks.

Frank Shell
Pembroke International