-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Jelliffe [mailto:ricko@allette.com.au]

From: "Dave Winer" <dave@userland.com>

>  The key benefit was that they
> could migrate to new languages and environments slowly, not all at once,
and
> could intermix components developed in different environments. Dave

I think this is a perceptive comment that also applies to XML (and SGML)
in general.  Many people use XML to *slow down* change, in the sense
that they are adding more life (and upping ROI) to old systems by tacking on

service-based front-ends. Rather than replacing the whole system, they get
a nicer facade.