Re: CORBA vs. XML (was: Re: XML.COM: How I Learned to Love daBomb)

> Obviously, using XML makes it human readable; but I think the biggest
> difference is that the latter two are merely method invocation (and that's
> *easy*); while CORBA implements "remote objects", and the horror of issues like
> maintaining state, remote memory management etc and so on.

> Have I got that right?

I think yes.

> Stateful objects turned out to scale terribly, so it was all a waste of effort
> anyway.  The simpler, less powerful approach of mere method invocation is
> actually much better.

Strange. I think that anyone,  who've  tried writing
some more or less complex HTML/CGI based GUI
application usually comes to conclusion that stateless
protocols ( CGI ) are 'really good' only for "hello world"
kind of applications.

It is all client/server. If MS would not kill Java RMI
in the browser ( they have not shipped the rmi.zip
with MS IE ), I think there would be almost no
HTTP / CGI combos in this world - long
time ago.

Sorry, if I don't  understand your point.

I think there was a heaven already.
It was Java in the browser + Java RMI.

I know, I know. Java sucks, e t.c. Sure.

Rgds.Paul.

PS. Of course, it is always possible to knock
together some custom serialization, keeping
the state between CGI invocations. Try to
explain to some hardcode C developer that
all his problems and bugs with malloc() are
avoidable with garbage collector.

He'd say : "Oh, no!  I like it the old way!
I keep gluing my serialization libraries to
stateless CGI's because everybody
does it!"