RE: XInclude vs SAX vs validation

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Julian Reschke [mailto:julian.reschke@gmx.de]
> Sent: 21 August 2001 16:38
> To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
> Subject: XInclude vs SAX vs validation

[...suggestion to build Xinclude processor above SAX...]

> My question is: how would this affect validation against a DTD? From my
> understanding, validation normally happens at a lower level, so it is
> already done when I receive a SAX event, right?

Yes. Sort of. You may not get a SAXException for any validation errors
before
you start receiving callbacks, rather at the endElement call. So technically
validation
is still occuring whilst you're adding in your new events.

But, from the applications perspective the validation is still occuring at a
lower
layer. So unless you add additional upstream validation your inclusions
won't
be validated against the schema of the input.

Cheers,

L.

--
Leigh Dodds, Research Group, ingenta | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitate"