Re: XInclude vs SAX vs validation

> My question is: how would this affect validation against a DTD? From my
> understanding, validation normally happens at a lower level, so it is
> already done when I receive a SAX event, right?

With SAX2, validation can be done either "inside" the parser, or
as a clean layer [1] on top of it.  Use the one that's appropriate in
your application.

XInclude doesn't demand that validation be done, or that it be done
at any particular time ([2], first note in section 4.2) or using any
particular rules (DTD, W3C Schema, RelaxNG, Schematron, etc).

It's interesting that XInclude is specified as "infoset merging", which
is a model that's very much attuned to SAX processing.  If only it
didn't use XPointer/XPath, thereby precluding pure stream-based
processing models!

- Dave

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/classpathx/jaxp/apidoc/gnu/xml/pipeline/ValidationConsumer.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xinclude/