XInclude vs SAX vs validation

Hi,

it seems that implementing XInclude on the SAX layer is a reasonable
approach. Not having worked a lot with SAX before, I'd approach it by
writing a SAX filter, catching XInclude instructions and generating new SAX
events.

My question is: how would this affect validation against a DTD? From my
understanding, validation normally happens at a lower level, so it is
already done when I receive a SAX event, right?

Julian