RE: Namespaces, schemas, Simon's filters.

Peter,

Yes, if we coalesce complexTypes as a kind of namespace, then xsi:type can
be construed as redundant and we can have a means of getting all the typing
information (which becomes namespacing information) into the instance.  And
yes, xmlcont (or whatever it would end up as) would be a means of doing so.

I agree with your first paragraph, and NUNs are an essential part of that.

To a large extent, this is an application of Occam's razor - Schema
currently has namespaces as a scoping abstraction and complexTypes as an
orthogonal scoping abstraction, as well as elements (through their ability
to contain anonymous complexTypes).  I think we'd certainly be better off to
collapse them.  Every time you have orthogonal ways of doing the same thing,
you end up with a cartesian product of cases.

Matthew