Re: Enlightenment via avoiding the T-word

"Henry S. Thompson" wrote:

> Ronald Bourret <rpbourret@rpbourret.com> writes:
> > >From my reading of the schema spec, this is what a validator does. My
> > point is that it would be nice if the PSVI was clearly factored so I
> > could write a processor to just add type information without performing
> > validation. This would be much cheaper and would be useful in
> > applications where I trusted the source of my documents.
>
> What factoring of the PSVI would you like that isn't already there
> implicitly?  The W3C XML Schema REC defines a number of properties for
> use by conformant schema-validators.  It is already open to you to
> make provide a subset of those properties of your own choosing in the
> output of some non-validating processor that you write.  If a
> downstream app needs only your properties, then it can run either on
> top of a conformant schema-validator, or on top of your processor.

It is true that I can take what I want from the infoset, but that's not
a good way to build mass-market software. Assuming one group of people
builds processors and another group of people build
processor-independent applications on top of those processors, the
application writers' job is made much easier by factoring.

This is because factoring means the application knows it can expect a
certain level of functionality, rather than continually having to ask,
"Do you support this?", which is the case with a continuum of
functionality. The DOM and ODBC drivers factor things this way to quite
good effect.

Without looking at every single PSVI contribution, a quick scan of
section C.2 might break them into the following sets:

1) Typing:
Attribute Declaration
Element Declaration

2) Defaults: