RE: About full-text search and XPath

-----Original Message-----
From: Gao Jun [mailto:jgao@patternware.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2001 9:47 PM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: About full-text search and XPath

I already know XPath doesn't
support full-text search well, but what I need is a simple full-
text search: I've a library of XML documents, each document
is very simple, with only two elements <title> and <excerpt>.
Now I need to do full-text search in this two elements' content.
Could XPath finish this task well? If not, could you recommend
some XML search engine and XML DB software which can do
that to me?

 Software AG's Tamino XML DBMS supports extensions to XPath to do this
easily.

The XPath 2.0 specification (likely to be completed in the next 6-12
months???) has this as a requirement.  See the section "Must Support String
Matching Using Regular Expressions" in http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20req
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20req>