Re: XML+SVG, XML+CSS, XML+XSL (was Re: Bad News on IE6 XML Support)

> Assuming that (1) "*still* separat[ing] content from presentation" and
(2)
> "edit once, present everywhere" are the goals, and assuming further
that
> what you mean above is that "content" = "(perhaps any) XML" and
> "presentation" = "SVG", then what is the difference between:
>
> XML (content) + SVG (presentation)
>
> and
>
> XML (content) + CSS (presentation)
>
> and while we're at it . . .
>
> XML (content) + XSL (presentation)

...or any number of other presentation options, including plain text, or
even typesetting markup used by newspapers. That's why I say edit once,
present everywhere.

The main difference, for me, is that XSLT is the conduit through which I
present with CSS and HTML, among others. It's a waste of my resources to
only present using CSS, since I know that content may be delivered to
other media.

I can understand why some web designers are squeamish about using XSLT.
It's not very intuitive if all you've been doing is HTML or even
Javascript. And I think what concerns some folks is the very fact that
most designers turn and run when confronted with XSLT. I know I sure did
when I first ran into it. I don't know what the answer is, either,
because to really get at XSLT's power you need to at least think like a
programmer even if you're not one.

But XSLT is a Good Thing. It allows me to control my content and deliver
to multiple platforms. I can use it to create SMIL, WAP, SVG, XHTML,
HTML, text, XSL-FO (and hence, PDF), heck even RTF were I inclined to
lose more hair than I already have. CSS and SVG are presentation tools
that in a perfect world would be relegated to presentation.

Unfortunately, SVG tools such as Illustrator and WebDraw are currently
set up so that the content gets thrown into the mix during document
creation. Hopefully the next generation of SVG tools will allow us to
bring in those XML contents separately and design around them.

Chuck White
CEO
The Tumeric Partnership
Advertising for the Next Generation.
http://www.tumeric.net
chuck@tumeric.net
Co-Author, Mastering XML, Premium Edition
Sybex Books, May, 2001
http://www.javertising.com