Re: First Release of the W3C XML Schema Test Collection

Eddie Robertsson <eddie@allette.com.au> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Good work to all who have contributed to the testcases. This is a very good
> start and I think it'll help everyone who's currently working on implementing
> schema processors as well as developers learning to work with schemas. One
> thing I'm missing is a column that states what the correct result is
> according to the spec?

> From what I can understand the Expected column is the expected results from
> the contributor (in this case Microsoft) and then we have the results from
> XSV but no column that states what the results should be according to the
> spec.

> I realise the work involved in doing this so maybe there is no time and no
> resources for doing this but I think it certainly would be useful.

That's it alright, plus the fact that where there is disagreement, the
resolution of that disagreement is up to the W3C XML Schema Working
Group, not any individual.

What we envisage is that as the number of implementation columns
grows, the tests will start to divide into three sets:

 1) Ones with unanimous judgements from all implementations;
 2) Ones with one or two minority opinions;
 3) Ones with a significant number on both sides.

Category 3 tests will be obvious candidates for being referred to the
WG.  Category 2 tests are most likely just wakeup calls for the
implementors in the minority to get with the programme, and/or cases
where the implementor acknowledges a lack of coverage.

ht