Re: XML Schemas: Best Practices ? Versioning

Hi Mary. My 2c

Re 1.5. Cons

I consider having to do two passes at the xml, one to get the version
and a second to do the validation as a downside. Maybe if the validators
supported this as an option then at least the code would only need to be
in one place.

Re 2 Cons

As far as inclusion of schemas is concerned, I thought best practice
in this area suggested the use of chameleon schemas, which don't carry
an explicit target Namespace.

Re 2/3/4 Cons

Seems like you assume I can't validate more than one schema version. If
the bits I'm interested haven't changed in between, I can happily accept
more than one version without changing my application code. All I have to
do
is make sure my validator has access to the schemas I'm willing to accept.

Regards
Michael

                    Mary
                    Pulvermacher         To:     xml-dev <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
                    <pulver@mitre        cc:
                    .org>                Subject:     Re: XML Schemas: Best Practices ? Versioning

                    11/09/2001
                    06:40 AM

First, thank you for all the great feedback on the XML schema versioning
question.  Here's my attempt to distill all I have heard.

This assumes one would like as consistent an approach as possible between
the two cases for XML schema changes cited by Curt Arnold:

Case 1.  The new schema changes the interpretation of some element.
For example, a construct that was valid and meaningful for the previous
schema does not validate against the new schema.

Case 2.  The new schema extends the namespace by adding new elements, etc,
but does not invalidate previously valid documents.

Versioning Approaches:

1. Changing the (internal) schema version attribute.

Pros:
- Easy.  Part of schema specification.
- Useful when all documents from the old version of the schema are valid
with the new schema (case 2 above).
- Applications are robust with this approach.  An application could reject
the new version of the schema (if appropriate).
- Could do a pre-parse and choose the schema based on the version number.
Tony Coates suggests one way to do this is to have a RDDL document at the
namespace URI, and in that document have the URIs for each schema version.

Cons:
-  Ignored by validator.
- This alone is impractical since two files with the same name can't be in
the same location.  Therefore, one would also need to change the schema
filename and the schemaLocation attribute in the instance document.

1.5  Put a schemaVersion attribute on the element that introduces the
namespace.

The example provided by Curt Arnold follows.  For example, if a document
was valid per version 1.0 and later of http://www.example.org/foo, it could
indicate it by:

<foo:foo foo:version="1.0" xmlns:foo="http://www.example.org/foo"/>

If a document relied on elements that were defined in later versions, it
could indicate it by:

<foo:foo foo:version="1.5" xmlns:foo="http://www.example.org/foo"/>

(acceptible values of foo:version in the v1.5 schema would be "1.5", "1.4",
"1.3", etc)

If existing processors saw this document, they could either validate
against the foo v1 schema and reject the document, or they could validate
against a lax v1 compatible schema (that had a decent amount of
<xsd:any>'s) or they could skip validation.

This approach does require the schema resolution mechanism to allow access
to the attributes on the namespace introducing element.

Pros:
- Useful when all documents from the old version of the schema are valid
with the new schema (case 2 above).
- Applications are robust with this approach.  An application could reject
the new version of the schema (if appropriate).
- Allows concurrent use of different versions of a schema.

Cons:

2. Changing the schema's targetNamespace.

Pros:
- Applications are robust with this approach.  An application would not
recognize the new namespace.
- Good that instance documents and schemas that include the relevant schema
must change to reference the new version because one would want to assure
that there are no compatibility problems.
- Allows concurrent use of different versions of a schema.

Cons:
- With this approach, instance documents will not validate until they are
changed to designate the new targetNamepsace.  (Some say this is a pro.)
However, one does not want to force all instance documents to change, even
if the change to the schema is really minor and would not impact an
instance.
- Any schemas that 'include' this schema would have to change because the
target namespace of the included components must be the same as the target
namespace of the including schema.  (Again some would say this is an
advantage.)

3/4.   Changing the name/location of the schema

Pros:

Cons:
- As with option 2, one disadvantage of this approach is that it forces all
instance documents to change, even if the change to the schema would not
impact that instance.
- Any schemas that import the modified schema would have to change since
the import statement provides the name and location of the imported schema.

- Applications are not robust under this approach since the application
receives no hint that the meaning of various element/attribute names has
changed.
- The schemaLocation attribute in the instance document is optional and is
not authoritative even if it is present.   It is a hint to help the
processor to locate the schema.  Therefore, relying on this attribute is
not a good practice (with the current reading of the specification).

XML SCHEMA VERSIONING BEST PRACTICES:

1. Make previous versions of an XML schema available

This allows applications to use previous versions.  It also allows users to
migrate to new versions of the schema as compatibility is assured.

2. When an XML schema is only extended,  (e.g., new elements, attributes,
extensions to an enumerated list, etc.) one should strive to not break the
receiving application where practical.

For example, if one is adding new elements or attributes, one could
consider making them optional where this makes sense.

In this case, changes in the version number (option #1) or schemaVersion
attribute (option 1.5), with a recorded change history, should suffice.
One may want to change the schema file name as well.

3. Where the new schema changes the interpretation of some element (e.g., a
construct that was valid and meaningful for the previous schema does not
validate against the new schema), one should change the target namespace.

In the schema:
a. Change the target namespace
b. Designate the new schema version (either via option 1 or 1.5)
c. Change schema filename?

Comments?
Any opinions on option 1 vs 1.5?

Thanks,
Mary

Mary Pulvermacher wrote:
     Hello everyone-

     Roger Costello has asked me to initiate this Best Practice topic.  The
     results of this discussion will be posted, along with the other Best
     Practices, on the Best Practice Homepage (
     http://www.xfront.com/BestPracticesHomepage.html).

     Topic:  What is the Best Practice for versioning XML schemas?

     Is it better to version a schema by:
          1. Changing the (internal) schema version attribute,
          2. Changing the schema's targetNamespace,
          3. Changing the name of the schema, or
          4. Changing the location of the schema?

This e-mail is confidential.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this document is unauthorised and prohibited.  If you have received this document in error, please delete the email and notify me by return email or by phoning the NEMMCO Helpdesk on 1300 300 295.