RE: [xml-dev] XML stylesheets

1.  Depends on experience.  Natch.  A novice really should take a
class, find examples, get a good book or visit the numerous tutorial
sites first.   This isn't novice work.   John E. Simpson has a good
book on XSL coming out with lots of examples some of which are quite
advanced.  He also covers XSL-FO.

2.  Depends on existing library.  Are all elements new, for example,
can you cobble an existing stylesheet? Recommended: start collecting
examples of various templates.  Harvest the XSLT maillists and other
net resources because most of the time, like a lot of code, there
are patterns of reuse.

3.  Are there modality requirements?  For example, do you want to
create a table of contents?

4.  Tool automation would be good but I don't have much experience
with these tools yet.

The relationship of stylesheet size to DTD/Schema size is not one to one
and I don't have metrics for that.  In general, a complex schema or
DTD means an even more complex stylesheet.  There is of course,
no necessary relationship of stylesheet to instance size.

I can usually create a basic stylesheet in a day or less.  Then
I have to go back and refine that design.  It depends
on how much functionality you want to insert and how much
data filtering or reorganization you want to do.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h