RE: [xml-dev] XML stylesheets

At 04:56 PM 09/17/2001 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>1.  Depends on experience.  Natch.  A novice really should take a
>class, find examples, get a good book or visit the numerous tutorial
>sites first.   This isn't novice work.   John E. Simpson has a good
>book on XSL coming out with lots of examples some of which are quite
>advanced.  He also covers XSL-FO.

Thanks for the mention. ;)

I do agree that XSLT isn't something to be taken too lightly. OTOH someone
else's reply on this thread suggested that a stylesheet could take months
of work. That sounds excessive to me.

The original poster's (John L. Thoms) message, trimmed version below,
actually didn't specify *XSLT* stylesheets, or whether he was looking
primarily to style or to transform his contractor's documents, and I
wondered if he could make do with CSS. Browser support (or otherwise)
aside, I'd think styling it with CSS would be a lot simpler than
undertaking some kind of large-scale transformation project.

John E. Simpson        | "I saw a sign: 'Rest Area 25 Miles'. That's
http://www.flixml.org  | pretty big. Some people must be really tired."
XML Q&A: www.xml.com   | (Steven Wright)