RE: Things are not what they seem - was RE: [xml-dev] Urgently n eeda reality check on the job market for XML development

For sure.  Problem is, some systems are never "done",
they change with requirements, platform and infrastructure.
We need people who understand that and can live with it.

Even this isn't the problem.  There are domains in which
the hard expertise is the subject matter expertise.  Not
how to program, but "what".  Given overlapping
responsibilities, an employer might favor someone who
can demonstrate both technical skills, fast learning,
good ability to analyze previously unfamiliar material,
and so on.  And some jobs are not challenging.  There
are probably more opportunities for grunt programming
than exciting innovative work.  Someone with a low
boredom threshhold is not a good candidate for those
jobs.

But Bray has the rules of thumb down pretty well,
particularly, what do you do in your spare time.
I'm interested in knowing that a bad day at the
office can be undone by a good night at the
<insert your hobby  here>.  Mental health...

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h