[xml-dev] XHTML, xml-stylesheet etc. attribute values case sensitive?

I have more or less assumed XML DTDs/schemas would require attribute
values to be case sensitive (typically lower case). For example, XLinks
define the global XLink attributes and their values as lower case
("onLoad" and "onRequest" are exceptions).

The XHTML 1.0 specification states that element and attribute names must
be lower case, but it does not say anything about attribute values.
Clearly script-related attributes like onload, onclick etc. are case
sensitive, as is the value of the style attribute. So to me it would
seem logical that all attribute values in XHTML should be case
sensitive, and preferably lower case. Is this being addressed anywhere?

A related issue is the Associating Stylesheets with XML Documents
specification. It refers to HTML 4.0 for the semantics of the
pseudo-attribute values. That spec predates XHTML 1.0, but it would seem
logical that it should refer to XHTML 1.0 now.

There might be other specifications that are affected by this; I have
not looked.

--
  Heikki Toivonen