Re: [xml-dev] XHTML, xml-stylesheet etc. attribute values casesensitive?

* Heikki Toivonen wrote:
>The XHTML 1.0 specification states that element and attribute names must
>be lower case, but it does not say anything about attribute values.
>Clearly script-related attributes like onload, onclick etc. are case
>sensitive, as is the value of the style attribute. So to me it would
>seem logical that all attribute values in XHTML should be case
>sensitive, and preferably lower case. Is this being addressed anywhere?

Case-sensitivity of attribute values depends on the value type. As you
said, attribute values with script content depend on the
case-sensitivity of the scripting language. Some attribute values have
predefined lists of valid values, e.g. the method attribute of the form
element, these are case-sensitive through the case-sensitivity of XML,
others are case-insensitive through the normative reference to HTML 4,
e.g. the type attribute of the style element. AFAICT this will be more
clearly stated in XHTML 1.0 Second Edition.

>A related issue is the Associating Stylesheets with XML Documents
>specification. It refers to HTML 4.0 for the semantics of the
>pseudo-attribute values. That spec predates XHTML 1.0, but it would seem
>logical that it should refer to XHTML 1.0 now.

XHTML 1.0 defines them through normative refernce to HTML 4... The
xml-stylesheet recommendation needs to resolve a lot of unadressed
issues; it doesn't really matter where the semantics are defined for
these pseudo-attributes in the current recommendation.