Fw: [xml-dev] Has XML run its course?

Title: RE: [xml-dev] Has XML run its course?

----- Original Message -----
From: Tim Nutman
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2001 1:37 PM
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Has XML run its course?

I apologise if this a slightly over simplistic and naive view. My knowledge
of the internal workings of the W3C and its history are minuscule, however,
someone picked up on accessibility earlier on in the thread.

How many research, standards bodies, commercial and home "users" were involved
in the creation of the HTML specifications? How does that number compare to today
and the number of those involved in the creation of XML and XML-"thingy" specifications
and technologies. I would guess that due to increased communication on a global scale,
more and more people (and by that I mean everyone from people at home through to
multi-national organisations) are having their say in the where these specifications
are going. What also increases the number of "contributors" is the fact that XML
has such a far reaching appeal (broadly categorised in a early thread into "data-heads"
and "doc-heads").

I guess what I'm saying here is that too many cooks aren't necessarily spoiling the broth,
it just tastes a little funny depending on the inclination of your palette.

We are talking, building, writing faster and faster everyday; and instead of letting this
give ourselves more time for reflection and analysis, we're just generating and building
more and more. Its like having a production line for specifications with less quality
control.

Its looks like this a portion of this thread will be continuing the discussion of
the effectiveness and future of the W3C and will be covering some of the ground covered
by the "tragedy of the commons" thread. Maybe the time is right to take stock of where we
are. Look at what is created, what is being used, sort out the really useful from the useful.
Can we rely on a Darwinian survival of the fittest to take effect here - should we be performing
that ourselves?

Its all very well saying "pick the technology you need", but its easier said than done.
You talk to one person they suggest use technology A, another will suggest specification B and C,
and someone else will suggest something completely different. In the end you end up debating
how you are going to implement  the solution instead of focusing on what is being implemented.
The basic XML+DTD tech lets you do this. Maybe that will be enough. Maybe people will
get so confused by the large number of complex and seemingly overlapping specifications
that they will just chose the simplest. Maybe a little guidance is needed.

Just my thoughts.

Tim