RE: [xml-dev] Has XML run its course?

Perhaps it need not be pointed out, but the W3C "owns" XML.
I think you have a 2% chance of success.  We have too many
new tools and too much investment in training, implementation, etc.

The W3C succeeded based on stretching the facts about what they could
do and what was reasonable to do.  The web zealots publicly beat
the hell out of the organizations and reputations of those who
did have the right approach to standard infrastructure building
in a way reminiscent of the mobs that burned the library of
Alexandria.  The damage was enormous and the results not nearly
as good as promised. The dot.bomb removed most of their
credibility in the investment world.  Now it is "build it, demo it,
market like hell, and maybe they will come" which is precisely
the world before the W3C.   Organizations don't matter as much
as utility and perceptions of utility.

I'm betting on MS and .net.  It does what is needed immediately.  If
the events of this month have escaped your attention, the one
thing pointed out in big bold colors is the need for reliable
policy mediated access to databases in real-time and post event.
Well-secured and standard service based systems are capable of
that.   Once those are in place, then inference enabled
systems have utility, but not before.   Berners-Lee needs to
understand that and so do we.

len