[xml-dev] Re: Separating content from presentation

> > Sorry if this is an old, dead horse on this list, but does anyone see
> > any substance in the supposed "separation of content from
> > presentation" feature of XML?

I am probably way too late on this
thread, but here it goes:

"Separation of content from presentation" is
not a feature of XML. As indicated by earlier
posters, this can be achieved in a number
of systems other than XML.

Instead: "Separation of content from presentation"
is a GOAL of any "content management"-type system.

XML is simply one of the easier ways of
meeting this goal.

The benefits in achieving this goal are
huge, as I have personally seen in projects
sthat I've been involved in.

As to whether XML+XSLT can actually be
used to achieve this, I'm less convinced.

James Robertson
Step Two Designs Pty Ltd
Knowledge Management Consultancy, SGML & XML
Illumination: an out-of-the-box Intranet solution

http://www.steptwo.com.au/
jamesr@steptwo.com.au