RE: W3C as Golden Goose (was RE: [xml-dev] [Fwd: W3C ridiculous n ewpolicy on patents])

At 8:50 AM -0400 10/2/01, Champion, Mike wrote:
> [...]
Specifically, I oppose RAND on the basis that non-discrimination that
requires payment for all, or even that merely serves notice to its
fellow similarly sized and inclined competitors that it will follow
suit should any of them consider charging for their patents, is
simply unworkable. The fact that some technologies have become de
facto standards should not influence this official policy. Most of
those technologies still stand a good chance of being replaced by
public open standards so that content(information/knowlede) does not
become hostage to patents.

Hopefully that is a bit more specific and clear.

Ciao,
Rex
--
Rex Brooks