Re: [xml-dev] wutka DTD parser question

This is exactly what SGML catalogs were meant to solve.

They would allow you to define DTDs in terms of SYSTEM
(not PUBLIC) identifiers.  A lookup through a catalog
would translate the SYSTEM identifier into a path-to-that-file
on the current system.

Thus, the catalogs would be system-dependent (but can
also be generic, in that they can use relative paths,
with ease).

Though, that's SGML.

I hear that XML folks are pondering catalogs, but I haven't
seen much progress on that front.  Things would have to become
catalog-aware, to be able to do the extra level of indirection
to find the final, terminal resource.

Ahh, well.

	-bob