[xml-dev] W3C Rants (was: RE: W3C as Golden Goose ...)

I think you're going a bit too far:

- The whole patent bullshit was there before
the W3C. The W3C is just trying to deal with it.
Corporate patent lawyers harvesting nearly
everything they pick up from developers in their
coffee break at big software companies and filing
those patents (aka "inventions") to even more
uninformed government patent agencies is the more
serious problem.

- The W3C is just trying to do the right thing in
this hairy issue. The good thing is that the W3C
acutally listens to the outside world. If some
proposed idea is bad - we can tell them - they
will listen - they will react. That's actually
pretty good for any organization that size.

- "I do not find the W3C performance in these areas
credible as a standards organization." Wait a minute!

You're arguing that the W3C should become an
"ex post facto" standards body again, standardizing
"technology fully understood and available for
implementation". Giving that thinking today we would
never have XML, XSLT, XPath or even HTML and the Web
itself in our hands. Someone has to pioneer this
stuff! This is XML-DEV, right? Who came up with XML,
Microsoft? Oasis? The Pentagon? Shall we wait for
them to develop "best practise" industry approaches
and then have the W3C just put a stamp on it?

To recall, the whole idea behind the W3C is exactly
to have the industry come together and share their
collective experiences and requirements from the
markets and then develop something universal based on
that. Worked pretty well so far, I'd say.

- Sebastian