RE: [xml-dev] RE: W3C Rants (was: RE: W3C as Golden Goose ...)

I hope earnestly for your success, but my experience
is that by dint of how they have organized themselves,
without RAND, they won't get the support they need. Do
we need the W3C?  I think so.  Corporations still need a
place to come together and search for consensus.  Does
the web need the W3C?  I think so.  Without a means
and a place to seek consensus, we will have only the
naked competitive forces to drive the evolution of
the technologies we metaphorically call "the web".
I see the W3C being balanced by other organizations
such as OASIS.  Where one puts support for some
given work should be selectable.  We should preserve
options.   Many forces are at work here and by
submitting to the delusion of the W3C as all powerful,
as somehow morally majestic, we have created this
current circumstance and made certain results predictable.

The web is not an entity.  It has no will.  There is
just us.  We should recognize that.  I restate a
belief taught by the Buddha, a practical belief.
Three things contribute to what is loosely
termed evil, but perhaps are just bad results:  greed,
ill will, and delusion.   It is easy to attack the
first under the aegis of the others, but the outcome
will still be bad results and we become the thing
we resist.  We have to find the middle way.
I see RAND as some trying to do that.

Is it the right way?  As Simon asked, for whom?

That said, let me read your position paper to see what
course you have in mind.

len