RE: [xml-dev] W3C Rants (was: RE: W3C as Golden Goose ...)

The SGMLers who built XML never patented AFAIK.  SGML was
open from day one.  You did have to buy an ISO standard
or steal one. :-)  XML was done at the W3C instead of
SGML Open because as I recall, it was feared that
SGML Open did not have sufficient technical mindshare.
In retrospect, that was a mistake in my opinion but
hindsight is Monday night quarterbacking.

OASIS is the former SGML Open founded by the SGMLers
that made sure of that.  XML-Dev was founded by Peter
Murray Rust and Henry Rzepa as a private initiative
later turned over to OASIS.  OASIS is paying the bills
here and we benefit whether we are members or not.

As for the differences, I invite the founders and
the members of the two organizations to comment on their goals.
For once, I will leave the philosophy to the professionals.
Someone get Bosak out of cold storage and see if he
has an opinion.   He did a lot of work on the OASIS
process that I think reflects the goals and the
fundamental differences.

len