RE: [xml-dev] Let's get real on W3C XForms 1.0 (why it stinks, to day)

At 12:09 PM 10/5/2001 -0700, Don Park wrote:

>Assuming I have your vote for Lord High Dictator of the W3C position <g>, I
>propose that W3C adopt a patent policy that basically states "W3C and all of
>its members will:
>
>1) do their best to ensure against patent fringement in our specs
>2) disclose patents affecting any W3C activities or forfeit profit from them
>3) will challenge legally any patent disputes that may arise after
>recommendation
>4) will deprecate recommendations if patent challenge fails
>
>I think such a policy will provide reasonable level of protection against
>patents in standards.

Unfortunately, that's really what they have now, and it clearly hasn't worked.

Employees responsible for organization > W3C liaison must be aware of the
IP the organization holds, and conversely, those responsible for the
organization's IP must be aware of what activities the W3C is undertaking
or considering.

Rare is the case where there is thorough knowledge in either direction,
hence late "disclosures" that come in the form of claims.

(Assertions of willful failure to disclose left to the suspiciousness level
of the reader)

Ann
Ann Navarro, WebGeek Inc.
http://www.webgeek.com/