RE: [xml-dev] Let's get real on W3C XForms 1.0 (why it stinks, to day)

This brings up another point: what's the state of the  patent issue with
respect to XFORMS http://www.xmlhack.com/read.php?item=1035 ?  I'd agree
that XFORMS will have limited appeal if there is a patent claim hanging over
it.

The W3C can never give the assurance that a member company won't try to
claim a patent on a W3C-Recommended spec.  Even if Don became Lord High
Dictator of the W3C tomorrow, they couldn't give that assurance <grin>.  We
can argue all we want about what the W3C patent policy should be, but the
W3C doesn't make or interpret or enforce the patent laws.  Maybe it could
kick out the Shana Corporation, or maybe file a friend of the court brief
against them if they sue anyone, but that would seem to be about it.