RE: [xml-dev] Re: W3C ridiculous new policy on patents

Not naivete.  I don't keep up with the open
source projects with the exception of VRML/X3D
and that only by reading that mail list.  I
don't know which have been shut down or
what patents were enforced.

If projects are shut down due to enforcement,
that emphasizes why a patent policy is necessary,
and why it should be flexible.  Underfunding
is not an excuse to break the law any more
than lack of knowledge is a reason for any
group to get a patent.

One might want to dig a little deeper into
the subject of software patents to uncover
what values make one defensible and another
not.  Sun gets to keep the patent that affects
XPointer despite the obvious prior art because
no one is willing to pay the money to take
them on and because they granted RF RAND.

len