RE: [xml-dev] Re: W3C ridiculous new policy on patents

That proof is there empirically and hard to question
in the profit and loss sheets of the overwhelming
majority of dot.coms that tried it.  As I said,
look at the new Yahoo business model which includes
more revenue from advertising and selling services
to the users.

What is donated to common usage and a natural commons
are very different things.   The Internet is not
free pasture land.  You can "prefer" any entity,
university or otherwise, to do what you prefer but
they don't have to and it is more than likely that
as costs climb for use of their resources, they
will as Yahoo is doing, put tolls on that usage
or return to the governments of their local areas
for increased support.  Then you can vote for higher
property taxes or whatever means is used.  That is a
way to express the preference.

Again, the issue is the relationship of the W3C
to patented technologies with regards to creating
specifications.   More to the point, it is becoming
the charter of the W3C itself and the privilege
of a commercial consortium to govern the public
interest.

len