Re: [xml-dev] Comment on W3C Patent Policy WG Response

At 10:02 AM 10/15/2001 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>On Mon, 2001-10-15 at 09:41, Ann Navarro wrote:
>
> > Where did you get the idea that invited experts "represent" the public?
>
>I think in _this particular case_ that's the intent, certainly as far as
>PR is concerned.

Perhaps -- though probably more accurately stated as a means of *public
input* that's beyond mailing list comment. That's not the same as
"representing" the public.

The W3C has a single set of rules for invited experts, which (to the best
of my knowledge) have not been altered for this case. Those rules do not
include any provision for "representing the public". If you wanted to take
a particularly pessimistic view, an invited experts offer up their brain
for draining, with very little flowing in the opposite direction.

Ann (invited expert, but not overly pessimistic)

Ann Navarro, WebGeek Inc.
http://www.webgeek.com/
What's on my mind? http://www.snorf.net/blog/
Hooya waling waling wi tiyil!