[xml-dev] PSVI in the instance

I see the idea of an instance document "decorated" with the PSVI
contributions in an xml 1.0 readable way as having the most traction here.

I propose the following requirements for such a beast:

1. All exposed PSVI items should be accessible to an application through
typical "XML 1.0 + namespaces" APIs and techniques.

2. As far as possible, it should be Schema-Language agnostic, to promote
interoperability between XML schema, DTDs, Relax, etc.

3. Every single PSVI item does not need to be exposed this way, only the
most useful or important ones ( hit the 80/20 point).

4. The structure of the instance document should not be excessively altered
by the "decorating" it with these PSVI items. Ideally, All elements and
attributes in the document would be unchanged, with new infoset
contributions added only in the form of "global attributes" (as suggested by
ERH ).

If these simple requirements are agreeable, the next step is to gain
consensus on:

   Which PSVI information should be exposed in this manner

and then on

   How should these infoset decorations be represented in the instance
document

This is mostly orthogonal to the (very useful) idea of a "normalized schema"
- the only entanglement is if we wish to have xlinks from an instance
document into the normalized schema.

-Wayne Steele