XML Wikipedia (was RE: [xml-dev] XML Database Decision Tree?)

[...]

> Nobody responded to my "XML Wikipedia" suggestion ... but apparently that
> process works reasonably well to foster neutral, factual, but
> useful content on controversial subjects .... it would be interesting to
> brainstorm how to summarize and archive whatever consensus emerges on a
variety of
> contentious subjects that we discuss here (schemas, namespaces, the
various
> APIs, etc.).

I think it's a great idea, and have obviously tried to summarise at least
some
of the debates that have happened here in the XML-Deviant column and
through the eclectic weblog.

While the latter is not a Wiki site, it has a discussion forum (I'm pretty
sure I
activated it), so people can post articles/summaries if they choose. Unlike
Wiki,
I think the only way to collaboratively work on a single document is if I
make
people contributing editors (standard Manila functionality), but the Wiki's
I've
seen often seem to be discussion oriented anyway (a document, with a series
of community responses).

I've not promoted this in the past because I didn't want to draw discussion
away from here, the primary forum. But as I say, there's no reason others
can't
post summaries there. (Note: there is a registration process, but it's very
basic).

Alternatively I can collate links to summaries elsewhere, similar to
PeterMR's XML
Jewels [1] from some time ago. Just send 'em in.

Cheers,

L.

[1]. http://www.vsms.nottingham.ac.uk/vsms/xml/jewels.html

--
Leigh Dodds, Research Group, Ingenta | "Pluralitas non est ponenda
http://weblogs.userland.com/eclectic |    sine necessitate"