Re: [xml-dev] PSVI in the instance

>>4. The structure of the instance document should not be excessively
>>altered
>>by the "decorating" it with these PSVI items. Ideally, All elements and
>>attributes in the document would be unchanged, with new infoset
>>contributions added only in the form of "global attributes" (as suggested
>>by
>>ERH ).
>

>I don't think that this is achievable, at least not without compromizing
>  #1.

I'm not so sure. I think annotations about attributes could be added in the
form of co-attributes in a different namespace. In any case, I meant
'attributes only' as a goal, if it's practical.  If it's not practical,
we'll have to insert some elements.

Here's one way co-attributes might work:

This document:

<E
   xmlns:foo="https://example.mil/foo"
   id="A1"
   a="1"
   foo:bar="CRM_114"
/>

Would be decorated to look like this:

<E
   xmlns:foo="https://example.mil/foo"
   xmlns:a="http://example.org/decorations_for_unqualified_attributes"
   xmlns:qa="http://example.org/decorations_for_qualified_attributes"

   a:id="xsd:ID"
   id="A1"

   a:a="xsd:text"
   a="1"

   qa:foo.bar="something_else"
   foo:bar="CRM_114"
/>

The trickiest part is aliasing qualified attributes as prefix.NCName , and
using separate namespaces for qualified and unqualified attributes.

-Wayne Steele