RE: XML Wikipedia (was RE: [xml-dev] XML Database Decision Tree?)

[...]

> I have one whiny complaint -- the server seems to be over-utilized; I
> frequently get timeouts, unacceptable performance, etc. -- but I *do*
> realize that ya gets what ya pays for.

I've got no control over that I'm afraid. Dave Winer was kind enough to
setup and host the site, during the early days of Manila. They added home
page caching recently (which I've activated) so hopefully performance ought
to be improved.

[...]
> I'd like to see something more along the lines of the "XML
> Encyclopedia" containing short overviews and summaries of what is really
> known and agreed upon, and what is contentious in spite of being a
> Recommendation.  This is  too much for one person (unless that's their day
> job), and it changes constantly (hence is not worth publishing on paper
> anytime soon), so some sort of collaborative effort seems to make
> sense.

I think that's an interesting idea and would certainly complement Robin
Cover's efforts. I know several developers that swear by Wiki's as a
high quality source of information, so it'd be a good model to adopt.

> I think this could work within Manila via articles, discussion groups, and
> collaborative editing (if it comes to that, and if Leigh feels comfortable
> with it) features.

I'm perfectly happy with that. If people want to post articles to the
discussion
group, then please go ahead. If anyone wants editor status then please email
me off list.

Cheers,

L.