Re: [xml-dev] XML Database Decision Tree?

   Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 15:09:57 +0200
   From: Nicolas LEHUEN <nicolas.lehuen@ubicco.com>

   So I believe there is a whole set of problems that will benefit from XML
   databases (which are I believe based on the hierarchical database model*,
   maybe Mike can confirm/infirm). The storage, indexation and querying of a
   set of document-oriented data is a good example.

		   We could even say that the XML database model is just a come
   back of the hierarchical model that was supposedly "killed" by the
   relational model back in the 80s.

Over the past ten years, I can tell you that whenever anybody calls
something a "database", and its model is not relational, they get
told:

-- Your data model is equivalent to The Hierarchical Data Model
-- The Hierarchial Data Model was utterly refuted and discredited
   by the Relational Data Model
-- Ergo, your database is no good.

All kinds of database systems that called themselves "object-oriented"
or "semantic" have been and are criticised in this way.

The thing is, there isn't any such thing as The Hierarchical Data
Model.  Just look somewhere for a definition of it.  There *is* such
thing as "the way the IMS product represented data".  To imply that
XML and IMS use the same data model is rather far-fetched.

Also, XML's data model isn't really hiearchical, due to the presence
and semantics of ID and IDREF, which are critically important to XML's
expressive power.  A very illustrative example is the ebXML
Collaboration Profile Agreement (CPA).

   But XML databases isn't or (won't) be a revolution, blasting all other
   storage models.
				     I don't think XML databases are the "next
   thing".

XML absolutely won't "blast" all other storage models or data models,
and if by the "next thing" you mean supplanting relational databases, I
agree completely that they won't.  I don't think anybody on this mailing
list is supporting any such strawman argument.