Re: [xml-dev] Problem in XML Schema.

abhay_c wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am facing a problem in validating a xml with schema. I need to write
> schema which supports attributes for leaf elements. Attached is the
> sample I tried and the parser IBM XML4C 3.5.1 gives the following error.
>
> Error at file "D:\Buysell.xml", line 4, column 135
>    Message: The type 'xs:string' is a simple type. It cannot be used in
> a deriva
> tion by RESTRICTION for a complexType
>
> Can somebody tell me what is wrong with the schema and how can I fix it
> with the requirement described above. Please help out.

yes, you've missed a step ;) ...

You need to define your simple type before using it to create a complex
content:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
	<xs:simpleType name="BuyOrSell">
		<xs:restriction base="xs:string">
			<xs:enumeration value="BUY"/>
			<xs:enumeration value="SELL"/>
		</xs:restriction>
	</xs:simpleType>
	<xs:element name="BuySellInd">
		<xs:complexType>
			<xs:simpleContent>
				<xs:extension base="BuyOrSell">
					<xs:attribute name="elementID" type="xs:string"/>
         </xs:extension>
			</xs:simpleContent>
		</xs:complexType>
	</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

Also, you may consider deriving "BuyOrSell" from xs:token (or adding a
whitespace facet) if your values may content leading or trailing
whitespaces.

Hope this helps.

Eric

--