RE: [xml-dev] Microsoft's deeply cynicalappealto"standards compl iance"

You have a good point, Joshua, in that the cost of trying to make
content work with multiple incompatible systems is quite
high.  For that reason, in intranet applications or
reasonably constrained applications, we do not recommend other than
IE nor will we contract for cross-browser compatible
delivery.  On an open public site, different rules apply
yet solutions that say "best viewed with X" have been
applied widely for some time.

I'm glad to see the article that explains the
reversal of the policy.

It will be interesting to see how well other XML application
languages (eg, SVG) fare with this problem.  The
VRML experience was illuminating with respect to the
difficulty of keeping declarative language standards
interoperable at rendering and behavioral fidelity:  close
wasn't good enough for rendering and even worse for
behavior.  The Highlander saga continues.

len