Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft's deeply cynical appeal to"standards compliance"

At 05:03 AM 26/10/01 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>XHTML documents delivered as text/html must be parsed as HTML documents,
>not as XML documents, thus SGML rules apply. Consider a simple case like
>
>  <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
>      "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
>  <head>
>  <title>...</title>
>
>The /> closes the meta Element in HTML

Er, no.  Not unless you're using an SGML declaration with NET
enabled.  If HTML even has an SGML declaration (doubtful given
that 99.9999999999999% of the community doesn't know what one
is) I'm pretty confident that it doesn't enable NET.

Or are you saying that there is an SGML decl that nobody's
ever seen and that it does enable NET? -Tim