Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft's deeply cynical appealto"standards compliance"

If you save Opera's press release to your local drive, change the extension
to "html", add a base element to the document's head, and convert the
xml-stylesheet PI to a style element that imports the stylesheet, it renders
fine in IE 6.0 and probably older versions as well. Going through these
steps to view a perfectly valid XHTML file with IE only proves that Bob
Visse's claims that IE even remotely supports XHTML is the result of either
remarkable cluelessness or willful deceit. Take your pick.

But in Microsoft's defense, the (expired) draft at [1] says that XHTML
doccuments should not have an extension of ".xml" but rather ".xht" or
".xhtml". Is that what's tripping up IE?

Additionally, DJ Delorie's HTTP Header Viewer [2] says that Opera is serving
its XHTML documents as "Content-Type: text/xml; charset=iso-8859-1". The
draft I mentioned above mandates a content type of "application/xhtml+xml".
If Opera used an ".xhtml" extension and this content type, would IE display
it correctly? (I doubt it but I'm willing to keep an open mind about it and
would be delightfully surprised if it did.) Would Opera even display an
XHTML document correctly with the correct extension and content type?

What's the current status of this draft? How can we expect _anybody_ to
support XHTML if we don't all follow the same guidelines?

[1]
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-baker-xhtml-media-reg-02.txt
[2]
http://www.delorie.com/web/headers.html