-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]

#1 is minimal-impact.  Can it be sold?  I.e., if you
want the "name" attr to be an ID, then you need the following
at the top of the file with a line for each element type
that "name" can appear on:

<!DOCTYPE rootType [
 <!ATTLIST element1 name ID #IMPLIED>
 <!ATTLIST element2 name ID #IMPLIED>
]>

I'm not sure it's going to be easy to get the community to
buy into this.