Re: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

Joe English wrote:

> PIs might be workable, but there are profiles that forbid even those,
> (not to mention that a PI-based solution is politically infeasible).

Out of curiousity, what profiles forbid them?

I accept what you say about a PI-based solution being politically difficult,
but for the life of me I don't understand why. The information about IDs
doesn't contribute to either the structure or the content of the instance, and
the ID requirements are only relevant to the current process. To me, this,
combined with the fact that target names starting with "xml" have been reserved
for standardization, seems to lead to this being an appropriate circumstance to
use them. If they were only ever going to be met with howls of derision, why
weren't they punted in the first place? Are they ever going to be used?

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mrc@allette.com.au
       - Einstein