Re: [xml-dev] Re: determining ID-ness in XML

On 01/10/30 8:23 AM, "Bob Hutchison" <hutch@xampl.com> wrote:
> to a namespace, nobody has to know about anything other than their own
> namespace. I'm a little concerned with the list manipulation requirements
> being place on tools that generate XML -- the contents of an xml:idatt seems
> to be seriously dependent on the document in question, the tools (and
> humans) will have to consider attributes designated by other namespaces.

Perhaps an example of what I'm concerned with.

First a little document:

<a>
    <b xml:idatt='idb'>
        <bb idb='b1'/>
    </b>
</a>

Lets add an element inside of <b>:

<a>
    <b xml:idatt='idb'>
        <c xml:idatt='idb idc'> <!-- look at what xml:idatt has to be -->
            <bb idb='b1'/>
            <cc idc='c1'/>
        </c>
    </b>
</a>

Now, try adding it around <b>:

<a>
    <c xml:idatt='idc'>
        <b xml:idatt='idb idc'> <!-- you have to change this too -->
            <bb idb='b1'/>
        </b>
    </c>
</a>

Anyway, it is a simple example, but you can imagine what might happen in a
more complex or larger document. I'm afraid this might make it difficult to
edit XML in a standard text editor, or to read and understand XML text.

Cheers,
Bob